Saturday, November 26, 2011

Renos and repairs

I purchased some Rowlocks on Ebay, unfortunately the buggers didn't look this big in the photos because there was nothing to give them scale. Oh well, we will use these ones as book ends and get some smaller more appropriate size rowlocks.


The port side of the hull is pretty good, unfortunately the starboard side had a few spots of rot that had to be taken out. This has caused a change of plans from the full varnish to a paint and varnish. Donna put on a couple of thick coats of primer & sealer for me to rub back to a good finish, I will not be trying to get the hull perfect it is too far gone and a bit bumpy for that. I am also keeping the costs down, I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a two hundred dollar rotten ply clinker ;)



The new mast is ready to go onto Shazza. The mast has been trial stepped and given a basic tune and has now had all the halyards run. I have absolutely Zero confidence in this rig at this stage, it seems a bit soft to me and I have no idea what sort of life the carbon has left in it if any at all.
Option A; the rig stays up and behaves well--good
Option B; The rig snaps -- all good, that's what insurance is for
Option C' The rig stays up but behaves like a big pig -- not good, gotta rig another mast