Friday, December 17, 2010

Carbon gudgeons

OH Yeah.
Carbon gudgeon layup
  • Carbon tube with correct inner dimensions to fit existing s/s rudder pin.
  • Tack that in place with quick drying glue of any sort
  • Build up gap in-between carbon tube and rudder
  • Place small then progressively longer "bandages" of carbon over tube onto rudder
  • let that cure to tacky
  • start carbon wraps right around blade
I used 300gsm uni then 408gsm C/B then uni and then C/B---total of 8 layers then finished with a layer of twill to made it easier to fair.

This is not an original of mine (derrr) and I beefed up the layup a lot from the suggested in the following site;
http://www.single-handedskiffs.com/images/MakingyourRudderCassette.pdf

I used a full length piece of carbon tube so there would be no way the two gudgeons would not line up. Once the gudgeons had cured I then cut the excess tube out from between the two gudgeons--pretty simple ay?

If you look closely enough you will see (sorry the images are pretty bad) that the top gudgeon is set further out than the bottom. This is to get a bit of the blade under the hull--not as much or no whether helm when you do this (you make think--derrrr, I didn't know cause I'd never asked, I was told after I had already set up my first rudder & cassette).

So, next is to clean everything up, fair the blade, put the tiller on. Give it all a paint.
Yeah Ha.